- 6 boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, cut into thin rings
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each, dried tarragon, thyme and basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Combine chicken, wine, broth, garlic, tarragon and basil in a 2-quart saucepan. Cover and simmer about 15 to 20 minutes, or until done. Set aside to cool in liquid. Drain chicken and cut into 1-inch strips.
To make dressing, combine vinegar, herbs, olive oil, mustard, garlic, salt, and red pepper in a cruet or a screw top jar. Shake well to blend; refrigerate and let stand at least 15 minutes. Can be made ahead.
Combine salad greens, hearts of palm, tomato, onion and chicken. Toss with chilled dressing, mixing thoroughly. Serve on lettuce lined platter or individual serving plates. Garnish with additional tomato wedges or hearts of palm, if desired.